Have you ever gotten that last minute document just before you leave the office that needs to be completed by Monday, but you’re heading out of town with zero desire to drag the laptop along with you just to edit a (Microsoft Office 2010) PowerPoint? Well, never fear, Windows 7 and Microsoft Office are to the rescue…thanks to an iPad app from OnLive! Best known for their online gaming solutions, OnLive has released the OnLive Desktop App. For FREE, including 2GB of online storage…
[Disclaimer: This is a personal cloud solution, so before you use it for work, please check with your IT department and make sure that you are complying with the Acceptable Technology Use and Security Policies of your company. The number one thing to remember is that any business files you upload to the cloud are the property of the company, and not you.]
Here’s the simple lowdown on how to get it, us it, and love it!
- 1. From your PC/Laptop go to https://desktop.online.com
- 2. Click on Sign Up and create a FREE user account
- 3. Sign In to your new account
- 4. Now Click on the OnLive Files tab (top right of screen)
- 5. Select a sample Word, Excel and PowerPoint to upload.
Now bring out the iPad!
- 1. Open the App Store and search OnLive Desktop
- 2. Install
- 3. Launch OnLive Desktop and Sign In
- 4. Uploaded files will Auto-Sync with the App as long as you are connected to the Internet
- 5. Enjoy! You will now have the same functionality as your Windows 7 PC with Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and your files will be located in the Documents folder which is has a shortcut on the Desktop view.
The OnLive Desktop also offers you the ability write with a stylus or your finger for taking fast notes, or just doodling your ideas. It also includes Paint for basic image editing, as well as Sticky Notes and a Calculator. But my favorite thing to play with on here is the Microsoft Surface Collage…think, the Tom Cruise movie Minority Report where they have all those images on a touch screen and can slide them around, spin them, expand them, throw them away and be all sorts of virtual cool…it does that! Create an awesome collage and then save it as its own image or use it as your wall paper.
I hope this tip (more like a heads up) was helpful! If it was helpful then let me know in the comments below. And if you get to making some super cool (super clean) collages, email them to email@example.com and I will post my favorites to this blog and give you credit!